About A Walk Through History

On December 10, 1807, Wilkerson County was divided into Laurens County, Telfair County, and Wilkerson County.  During the next 63 years, Telfair County was divided several times into many counties including Coffee County and Ben Hill County.  The last major division was on October 26, 1870 with the creation of Dodge County; Telfair County's history is the result of a diverse population and “Walk Through History” on the stage of the Telfair Center for the Arts celebrates the lives of citizens that shaped Telfair County..

Pioneer Historical Society

The Old South Georgia College Administration Building was constructed in 1892 under  the auspices of the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church.  It offered education in grades 1- 11 and included a three year college.  Later it served as a local high school, then elementary school before ownership passed to the Pioneer Historical Society and the Telfari Art Association in 1979.  After a partial restoration, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and is used for a variety of primarily cultural events.  In 2002, ownership of the building ws transferred to the Local Library Board (LLB), and the first phase of an extensive restoration was undertaken using Governor's Discretionary Funds.  This effort included replacing the rook, repainting exterior brickwork and all exterior woodwork. , restoring the lobby and the auditorium, and upholstering the auditorium's first floor seats.

In 2010, the Pioneer Historical Society (PHS) assumed responsibility for the operations and mmaintenance of the building under a LLB/PHS Plan for Use and the second phase of restoration commenced using PHS funds.  The building's name was changed to the Telfair Center for the Arts and the rehabilitation of the building commenced to restore the structure for its adaptive use as a center for the performance arts.  This project was completed and the Center was the recipient of the Georgia Trust 2015 Award for “Excellence in Rehanilitation”. In 2016, the property was deeded to the Piioneer Historical Society.

One PHS mission is to preserve the building through a multi-phased restoration/rehabilitation and through the use of its wonderful facilities enhance the county's cultural experience.  While much Phase 3 work remains, the auditorium, lobby, and public restrooms are complete and ready for use.  Work to complete Phase 2, the rehabilitation of the first floor for tits adaptive use as the Telfair Center for the Arts was completed in 2015 when the Pioneer Historical Society earned  the Georgia Trust Award.  TCA features an acoustically marvelous 400 seat auditorium facing a raised twenty-one by forty-three stage  with sound and light systems;  TCA website is tcfta.com.  TCA/PHS email is [email protected].